Five Types of Car Insurance

When you buy an insurance policy, you'll need to meet the minimum amount of coverage required in your state. But you can also add other types of coverage to your policy to give yourself further protection. So how much insurance do you really need? Here are five of the most common types of coverage explained.

Liability Insurance

Should you ever be judged responsible for causing an accident, liability coverage will help. It can pay for the medical bills of the other party and provide them with compensation for property damage. Most states require you to carry some level of liability insurance.

Collision Coverage

This type of insurance will cover the repairs to your car following an accident. In the event that your vehicle is totaled, your insurance company will give the value of your car. Collision coverage is optional in most situations. If you drive a new or expensive car, buying collision coverage may be worth it, but if you have an older model, it might make financial sense to go without it.

Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive coverage will help you fix damage that isn't caused by a collision. For example, if you're car catches on fire or is vandalized, you'll be able to pay for repairs. You'll also be protected from natural disasters like floods and tornadoes. In most cases, you purchase comprehensive collision coverage together.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Protection

Some drivers choose to break the law by not purchasing insurance. Others may not have enough coverage to fully pay for the damage caused by an accident. If you get into an accident with one of these drivers, this type of coverage can help you pay for your car repairs and medical bills.

Personal Injury Protection

If you get into an accident, personal injury protection (PIP) will pay for your medical bills as well as the expenses of your passengers. This type of coverage offers your protection regardless of who was at fault. Carrying PIP is mandatory in some places. It's a wise idea to purchase it even if you live in a state where it's not required.